Living in downtown Houston puts you right in the midst of all the action. Our Houston luxury apartments are ideally located at 500 Crawford, which makes us next-door neighbors with the Houston Astros. Sports fans love our location for many reasons, but a top reason is because we are walking distance to the Astros. Did you know many of our apartment balconies have views overlooking the ballpark? Talk about taking your fandom to new levels!
Heading into September, baseball is more fun than ever and we wanted to share some fun facts about our favorite Houston baseball team that we found around the Internet. No matter how busy games get, living at our Houston apartments downtown means you don’t have to fight traffic. Simply walk across the street and take in the greatest baseball team in the league!
12 Fun Astros Facts:
- Minute Maid Park played host to the first-ever World Series game played in the state of Texas.
- Lance Berkman has the highest career batting average for the Astros .302.
- Since Minute Maid Park opened in 2000, more than 25 million fans have entered the turnstiles.
- Only 6 of the 30 MLB teams have a retractable roof, and Houston is one of them! (BONUS: MLB teams with retractable roofs/domes include: Astros, Blue Jays, Diamondbacks, Mariners, Brewers and Marlins.)
- Hall of Famer Jeff Bagwell holds the club record for most career home runs at 449.
- Speaking of Bagwell, the Houston Astros reached the postseason six times during his 15-year career with Houston.
- The Astros were first established in 1962 as the Colt .45s, and became the “Astros” in 1965.
- Did you know the Astros famous old school rainbow jersey was designed by advertising agency McCann Erickson? Read about it via ESPN.
- Craig Biggio holds the record for the most seasons played in an Astros uniform (20 years) and finished his career with 3,060 hits. He is one of only 27 MLB players with 3,000+ hits in their career.
- Former outfielder Derek Bell first created the nickname Killer B’s. The popular group included Craig Biggio, Lance Berkman and Jeff Bagwell, among others. Bagwell was known as the King of the Hive, according USA Today.
- Before Minute Maid Park, the Astros played their games at the famed Astrodome, which was the world’s first multi-purpose domed sports stadium.
- The Astrodome was dubbed the “Eighth Wonder of the World,” and opened in April 24, 1965. Learn more about the history of the Astrodome.
CultureMap also listed our two on-site restaurants some of the hottest downtown Houston spots to hang before or after an Astros game. Both offer valet parking, but if you live at our Houston apartments downtown, you can easily walk downstairs and meet friends before heading across the street to the game – no car necessary!
If you’re an Astros fan, visit our luxury Houston apartments at 500 Crawford Street, across from Minute Maid Park. We invite you in for a private tour. Stop by or call us at 713.222.0500 to hear our leasing specials and availability. We currently have some great leasing incentives on a few floor plans, and take our virtual tour to get a feel for our downtown Houston neighborhood.